Content marketing is becoming very important in the new digital age. From B2B to B2C business, content marketing plays an integral role in the growth of online sales and revenues.
Content marketing is now one of the key aspects of digital marketing strategy. It is influencing customers to purchase more than ever before, and a lot of businesses have started using content strategies to engage with their target market.
The increased interest in content strategies has meant that marketers now have a great selection of tactics they can try out. With these tactics, you can generate more relevant traffic, nurture your audience in the sales funnel, and provide value.
In this article, I am going to discuss some of the most important content marketing tactics to try. If you have been wondering what kind of content marketing tactics you should be trying or if you are looking for new and fresh ways of creating valuable content for your readers, then this article is for you.
What is Content marketing?
Content Marketing is a strategic marketing approach to planning, creating, distributing, sharing, and publishing content to your target audience. The aim is to increase brand awareness, sales, engagement, and loyalty.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is a long-term strategy that focuses on building a strong relationship with your audience by giving them high-quality content that's relevant to them consistently. This means including inbound marketing, and creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain customers.
Unlike traditional marketing tactics where you might pay to place an ad in front of your target audience (think ads on Google or Facebook), successful content marketing focuses on earning the attention of your target audience. You might also notice that this is similar to SEO in some ways.
The difference between SEO (search engine optimization) and content marketing is that SEO focuses more on improving rankings within search engines whereas content marketing is about getting people to engage with your brand. Both are important for getting traffic and leads though!
Why Is Content Marketing Important?
- Builds trust and credibility. Building trust is a crucial part of any relationship. If someone trusts you, they’re far more likely to want to do business with you and buy from you. Your content helps them get to know, like, and trust you.
- Increases visibility and search engine rankings. Using the right keywords makes your content more discoverable in searches on search engines like Google. Organic traffic coming from search engines is still the top way people find information online (in 2020).
- Drives leads and sales. Content marketing helps your target audience connect with your brand and take action. Studies show that 70% of people prefer to get information from blogs than traditional advertisements, which means that content marketing can help increase leads and drive sales for your business!
- Separates you from the competition. The more valuable your content is compared to your competitors, the better chance you have of making a sale! This type of quality content can also help build thought leadership for your company or brand which will make it even easier for potential customers to find you when they are searching for answers related to what you offer!
How to Choose a Content Marketing Strategy
There are myriad different content marketing strategies you can use depending on your target audience and the nature of your product. You can start measuring the effectiveness of your content marketing efforts by establishing smart goals, and you should do this from the beginning.
What are you trying to accomplish with your content marketing? Is it brand awareness? Are you trying to increase traffic to your website or landing pages? All of these things can be measured.
Once you have established your smart goals, it’s time to track them.
Start by looking at how much traffic your website is receiving from organic search and other channels that rely heavily on quality content. You may also want to consider an SEO audit or a social media audit so that you can pinpoint exactly where improvements need to be made and identify specific types of content that will help get more eyes on your site.
Blog posts are the most common form of content in the marketing world, and they are designed to give your website a steady stream of fresh content. Given that about 56% of content marketers who use it say that it is their most effective marketing content type, this tactic is a must-try. Learn how to start a blog.
Updating your blog with new posts regularly can help boost your search engine rankings, since the more often you update your site, the more frequently Google will crawl and index it. Additionally, you may choose to publish blog posts on LinkedIn to increase their distribution and get more eyes on them.
You should know that search engines may prioritize blogs that provide value over blogs that simply appeal to SEO algorithms (for example, by continually recycling keywords or rehashing old topics). To learn how to write valuable blog content.
Create New Content
Creating new content requires time and resources, but it’s the best way to bring in new organic traffic. It can also be an outlet for your creativity, helping you make something that's truly yours, and that has the potential to make a significant impact on your audience. It may seem obvious, but the first step is to create something new like a blog post, a video series, or an ebook.
The benefits of creating something original are many and varied. As well as attracting new visitors organically by its relative non-competitiveness, it gets your creative juices flowing and can be very rewarding when people engage with it positively (which they will if you’ve done a good job!).
Repurpose Existing Content
In 2021, 55% of successful content marketing strategies focused on improving the quality of content. Repurpose existing content into other formats for new channels. If you’re wondering how to increase traffic to your website, repurposing content is a great way to get more mileage from your original articles, blog posts, and other content.
Say you wrote an article about time management for new managers that was successful on your main blog. You could:
- Create a set of slides with key takeaways from the article and post it on SlideShare.
- Create an infographic with statistics cited in the article as well as visuals showing key concepts and share it on social media.
- Create a podcast where you interview one of your industry experts mentioned in the article.
E-books are a great way to generate leads, build your credibility and establish yourself as a thought leader.
If you're considering writing an e-book, use the following 5 tips to make sure it's a success:
- Brainstorm your topic; come up with ideas that people would want to read about.
- Think of ways to incorporate statistics, data, and research into your content. It will help readers understand your point better and make them more likely to take you seriously.
- Remember how much time people have available; don't write a long book if you know most people won't read it all.
- Think about what type of format would work best for the type of content you'll be covering (i.e., short paragraphs vs long blocks of text).
- Consider including illustrations or other visuals that will help engage the reader even further.
Making videos can be a great way to further your content marketing efforts. Research shows that 72% of customers said they would rather learn about a product or service by way of video. But before you dive into creating them, it's important to understand that there are some dos and don'ts to this particular medium.
One thing you want to keep in mind is quality. Hiring a professional videographer or having your in-house creative team put together something of high quality will go a long way toward communicating your brand message.
Contrastingly, low-quality visuals can come across as cheap and unprofessional, which could have negative impacts on your brand image. Keep these things in mind:
- Think about what type of video would be most helpful for conveying your information; tutorials, interviews, explainer videos, etc., all have different uses.
- Make sure the video is short. Viewers' attention spans online are notoriously short so make it concise.
- Use subtitles if possible; not everyone has their sound on when viewing online content.
When asked which types of visuals had the highest engagement, 42% of marketers reported that infographics and other original graphics were the most engaging. This was higher than any other form of visual content.
Infographics are great for bringing attention to your brand because they're a visual way to grab the eye of your audience. As well as sharing information in an accessible way, infographics provide a fun and engaging way to advertise.
If you have a complex product or service that requires some explaining, an infographic can help people better understand what you do.
They can also be very useful for sharing statistics or figures with your audience simply and succinctly. They can also be used to tell a story.
Infographics make content sharing easier by providing an aesthetically pleasing graphic that's more likely to be shared on social media than other types of content—and the more it's shared, the better it is for building brand awareness!
Use Social Media Promotions
As of January 2022, there are 3.96 billion total social media users across all platforms. There are several ways that you can use social media in your content marketing strategy:
- To engage with your audience. Social media is a great way to get feedback about your products and services, answer questions, and get to know the people behind the companies you’re working with. If you want to get involved in conversations about topics related to your business, there are groups on nearly every social platform that can help you find like-minded individuals. You can even create your group or page where members can discuss issues important to them (think Facebook Groups).
- To promote content. While every social network offers a different range of features and benefits, they all allow brands some kind of promotional capabilities. When used correctly, these channels can help you build credibility by sharing carefully selected pieces of content on relevant topics. Be sure not to overdo it though, no one likes being spammed!
- To build relationships with other businesses. There was once a time when networking was limited mostly to things like local networking events and lunches with potential clients or collaborators. Nowadays, many relationships develop online via channels such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram before ever moving into real life.
Email marketing is a great way to reach and connect with your audience. Of all the content marketing tactics available, email marketing allows you to build trust on an intimate level with members of your audience.
With 4.03 billion people around the world using email, this presents you with a great opportunity to reach people personally. By sending personalized messages, you can deepen your relationship with the people who are most interested in what you have to say.
Unlike more traditional methods of advertising such as print, radio, and television ads, email marketing allows for much more customization without breaking the bank. Email marketing will help grow brand awareness and increase conversions for businesses big and small when used strategically.
A landing page is a specific type of web page that is designed with a specific objective. In digital marketing, a landing page is typically used for lead generation.
For example, if you search for “digital marketing” on Google and click on an ad from an agency offering digital marketing services in your area, the page that pops up on your screen when the link loads is most likely a landing page.
This landing page aims to convert visitors into leads by collecting their contact information. Landing pages are effective and have an average conversion rate of a landing page is 26%. In most cases, visitors will be asked to share their name and email address in exchange for something valuable, like a guide or a discount code.
Once they do this, they become what's known as a lead—a person who has expressed interest in your product or service but hasn't yet made a purchase decision.
Content Marketing Tactics FAQs
- What is content marketing?
Content marketing is the process of creating articles, videos, podcasts, and other forms of media to generate leads, traffic to a website, or brand awareness. It involves understanding your target audience and the content they enjoy engaging with. It also includes thoughtfully distributing that content to targeted audiences across channels that matter most to them and measuring success along the way.
- Why is content marketing important?
Content marketing is important because it's how you can get your message in front of potential customers. Whether you're a retail business selling T-shirts or an investment bank selling 401K plans, consumers don't want to be sold right away, they want to learn about their options through helpful information that's relevant to their interests. Content marketing allows you to build trust and rapport with prospects so that when they are ready to buy, they know whom they want to buy from.
Content Marketing Tactics Conclusion
Content Marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach your target audience. It's about creating content that's valuable and resonates with your audience so they will continue visiting and developing a relationship with your business. Content marketing is a long-term strategy, so you'll have to invest time and resources over an extended period to see meaningful results.
If you’re still not sure if content marketing is the right decision for your business, it’s worth taking the time to weigh its benefits against the costs. Ultimately though, it takes commitment and an understanding that content marketing isn’t just about promoting your products or services but providing value for your target audience in other ways.