Email marketing has been a crucial part of the marketing mix for years. But with new channels and technologies emerging, does it still hold the same relevance? Will email marketing still be effective in the coming years?
In recent years, email marketing has undergone many changes. With the emergence of social media and other digital channels, many marketers have wondered if email marketing is still a viable option. However, the statistics speak for themselves. Email marketing remains one of the most effective ways to reach customers and drive conversions.
As we approach 2023, it's essential to understand the latest trends and statistics surrounding email marketing. From open rates to click-through rates, many metrics can help you measure the success of your email campaigns.
In this article, we'll take a closer look at the email marketing statistics you need to know to stay ahead of the game in 2023.
Email marketing is a targeted digital marketing strategy that involves sending commercial messages to a group of individuals via email to promote products, services, or engage with an audience.
General Email Marketing Statistics
- The email marketing sector is valued at $10.89 billion as of 2023. It is expected to reach $17.9 billion by 2027.
- In 2023, the total number of worldwide email users is estimated to be 4,371 million.
- The number is set to reach 4.6 billion by 2025.
- The daily number of emails sent in 2023 is forecasted to be 347.3 billion.
- The number is set to reach 376.4 billion by 2025.
- As per a Litmus study, over 40% of marketers witnessed budget drops in email marketing after the pandemic.
- Email marketing revenue is estimated to reach almost 11 billion by the end of 2023.
- Across all sectors, the average email open rate is 18%, the click-through rate is 2.6%, and click to open rate is 14.1%.
- Email marketing revenue is projected to be $10.89 billion by the end of 2023.
- The lifetime value of a single email address has risen by 33%.
- 99% of users check their email every day.
- 41.5% of brands say that email marketing is very critical to their company's success.
- 37% of companies are set to increase their email marketing budget.
- 73% of people say that email is their preferred marketing channel.
- The most popular email category amongst marketers is newsletters, followed by welcome emails.
- QA, A/B, and spam testing your emails lead to higher ROI. Enjoy up to a 28% higher return when you put testing to work for your email program.
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
Email marketing is a crucial component of any B2B marketing strategy. As a B2B marketer, it's vital to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and statistics to refine your tactics and ensure that you're effectively connecting with your target audience. Here are some essential B2B email marketing statistics that every marketer should keep in mind:
77% of B2B companies use an email marketing newsletter as part of their content marketing strategy.
79% of B2B marketers find email to be the most successful channel for content distribution.
- B2B has a higher CTO ratio than B2C emails.
- Email marketing software is 2nd most used tool after analytical tools, with 85% of b2b marketers implementing it.
- 90% of b2b businesses use email engagement as a metric to measure performance. That makes it the most popular metric.
- Mailchimp is the top SaaS b2b email marketing software company.
- Additional B2B Email Marketing Statistics
- 59% of B2B marketers consider email marketing as their top revenue-generating channel.
- B2B Businesses have a 22% unique email opening rate.
- 81% of B2B marketers claimed they use email newsletters as the most common form of content marketing.
- B2B companies carry out one email marketing campaign in a month (25 days) on average.
- 89% of email campaigns are sent out using the businesses' names.
- B2B emails have a 15% click-to-open rate.
- In addition, B2B marketing emails see a 23% higher click-to-open ratio than B2C emails!
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
B2C email marketing has become a vital component of any successful marketing strategy. By providing businesses with a direct line of communication with their customers, email marketing can help drive sales, increase brand loyalty, and boost engagement. Here are some key statistics that highlight the importance of b2c email marketing:
- According to a survey by HubSpot, 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
- 42.3% of American users subscribe to emails for savings and discounts.
- Cart abandonment emails sent one hour after a customer leaves are the most effective, converting 6.33% of visitors.
- More than half of customers say that emails affect their purchasing decision.
- 46.1% of people open abandonment cart emails.
- If you send less than 5 newsletters per week, your business will experience higher open and CTR
- Almost 22% of all email campaigns are opened within the first hour of being sent.
- 45% of internet users do not open emails from unknown senders.
- 60% of consumers returned to complete their pending purchase after they received a personalized email about their abandoned cart.
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
Mobile email marketing has become increasingly important as consumers continue to rely heavily on their smartphones for communication, shopping, and seeking information. This section highlights the need for businesses to optimize their email campaigns for mobile devices, ensuring that content is easily accessible, visually appealing, and engaging on smaller screens.
- 36.6% of emails globally are opened via mobile devices.
- 20% of marketing email campaigns are not optimized for mobile phones. (Statista)
- Apple's native email app is the most popular email client on smartphones. Gmail comes in the second spot. (Litmus)
- Gmail is the most popular mailing service, with 1.5 billion active users as of 2023 (Wikipedia)
- 75% of Gmail users access their accounts via mobile devices. (Tech Crunch)
- A mobile device is responsible for one out of every three email clicks. (Campaign Monitor)
- Mobile phones account for nearly 55% of global website traffic. (Statista)
- Mobile-friendly email is the 2nd most popular strategy used by email marketers to boost their performance. (Hubspot)
- When a consumer reads an email on a mobile and then again on a desktop, the likelihood of clicking through increases by 66%.
Email Marketing Demographics
Email marketing can be a powerful tool for businesses looking to connect with their target audience. However, to truly maximize the effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns, it's important to understand your audience's demographics. By doing so, you can tailor your content to better resonate with your recipients and ultimately drive better results.
- 96% of people check their email inbox every day
- Users check their email around 15 to 20 times a day
- Independent professionals have the highest open rate (34.4%), followed by education (34.1%) and travel and tourism (32.6%)
- 26% of retail emails bounce.
- Personalization of emails based on demographics is used by 20% of retail, e-commerce, and FMCG companies.
- Nine out of ten American aged over 15 are using email.
- 74% of Baby Boomers believe emails are the most private channel for receiving advertising, followed by 72% of Generation X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Generation.
- In the United States, 91% of women and 89% of men use email.
- Asian Americans are the most common email users in the United States (92.1%), followed by other non-Hispanic users (91.8%), White non-Hispanic 91.7%), African American users (88.3%), Hispanic users (85.4%), and American Indian or Alaskan Native users (83.5%).
Email Usage Statistics
Email is one of the most popular and effective communication channels in the world. From personal to professional settings, individuals and businesses alike rely on email to connect with others, share information, and conduct transactions. But how much do we know about email usage?
In this section, we will dive into the latest email usage statistics to give you a better understanding of how people use email, how it's evolving, and how you can leverage this information to improve your email marketing efforts.
- One of the biggest benefits of using email to communicate with your customers is that nearly everyone uses email. 92% of online adults use email, with 61% using it on an average day.
- And more and more people are using it year-after-year. The number of email users in the US was projected to grow to 251.8 million by 2020.
- Plus, nearly 105 billion emails are sent each day; this number is expected to reach 246 billion.
- People aren't just using email to connect with family and friends either. 61% of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands through email, which is good news for your business.
- The even better news? 99% of email users check their email every day, some as much as 20 times a day!
- It's often the first thing people do online; 58% of users check their email before they check out social media or the news.
- Checking email is also a complementary activity. People do it while watching TV (69%), in bed (57%), and on vacation (79%).
Personalization and segmentation statistics
- 55% of marketers have made personalization a priority for their email campaigns. (Litmus
- Segmented email campaigns lead to a 760% increase in revenue.
- The most common criteria for personalizing emails, as per 80% of marketers, is name, company name, and other profile data.
- Segmented email campaigns generate 50% higher click-through rates than generic ones. (Help Scout
- Personalized subject lines account for 26% more email opens.
- Personalizing messages is the top tactic used by email marketers to improve performance.
- Witness a 179% higher unique click rate than promotional emails.
- 44. 71% of subscribers claim that their interaction with an email is influenced by the level of personalization offered.
Email marketing KPI statistics
- Friday witnesses the highest opens and clicks out of any other day of the week, while Saturday experiences the lowest.
- While 8 am experiences the highest number of opens and clicks, 4 pm witnesses the greatest order rates.
- In 2021, the average open rate across all industries was 22.60%, while the average click-through rate was 1.40%.
- Faith-based organizations had the highest open rate (33.06%) and click-through rate (2.56%) in 2021.
- Repair and maintenance companies had the lowest open rate (14.89%), and the transportation industry had the lowest click-through rate (0.54%).
- 1 in every 6 emails is sent to the spam folder.
- The average unsubscribe rate in 2021 was 0.10%.
- Welcome emails generate 320% more revenue per email than promotional ones.